I'm committed to releasing 1.6.0.3 before The Ajax Experience at the
end of September. Obviously we'd like to release sooner, but both
Christophe and I will be attending that conference and presenting on
Prototype, so it behooves us to close some glaring bugs in 1.6.0.2.

The main problem is that we've made a lot of changes in the past few
months — far more than we typically make for a bugfix release — and we
paid the complexity tax for that. Tobie has kindly volunteered to roll
back to late April and cherry-pick the important stuff that happened
after that point. The rest we can defer to 1.6.1.

On Aug 29, 1:54 pm, Mark Caudill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Despite what anyone calls it, Prototype is starting to stall (due to
> huge changes in the Core team, lighthouse transition, API system,
> etc.).  I don't want to see Prototype lose more support because of one
> slow sub version. Everyone keep saying it'll be fine after 1.6.0.3 is
> finally out, but I don't know if that's factual.

It's rough; I know. Unlike Dojo and jQuery, we don't have anyone who's
paid to work on Prototype full-time, so there will be an ebb and flow.
Tobie's been busy with the Caja work, I've been busy at my full-time
job (I'm not even on a web development project right now), Thomas is
busy getting married, and so on. But I would get ready for another
flurry of development after The Ajax Experience, since conferences
always give me the coding itch. ;-)

> Anyway, I want this to be a positive message.  I am willing to do as
> much as I can to help this release and the eventual 1.6.1.

I swear soon we'll figure out a more formal way to match people up
with what they're good at. In the meantime, depending on your
strengths, here's what we could use help with:

  * Unit tests for existing patches with a 1.6.0.3 milestone.
  * Increased test coverage for stuff that's already in the library.
For instance, it'd be great to have a bunch more "dirty" tests for
Selector.
  * Help with PDoc. If you have a head for parsers, grab the source
and see if you can grok what we're doing there.
  * Help with the eventual PDoc documentation for Prototype. My GitHub
fork [1], the unofficial 1.6.1 branch, has some PDoc comments in there
already; feel free to fork, document what is still undocumented, and
send pull requests.

That's what I can think of at the moment. Other team members should
speak up if they can think of anything else. Thanks for your concern
and enthusiasm, Mark.

Cheers,
Andrew

[1] http://github.com/savetheclocktower/prototype/tree/master