Yes you could just setup a keyup observer on the entire document, the
two problems that I see right away is that any keyboard shortcuts the
user already uses may or may not work any longer depending on how you
write your code. Secondly, depending on the size of the list of links,
the script may take a while to process each keypress.

There's a few other issues I'd be concerned with, but the above is
probably enough to think about for now. Having a textbox to type into
would solve the first problem. Keeping a copy of the list of links in
a local variable would help to solve the second problem.

-justin