Alex,

You're incrementing and decrementing Ajax.activeRequestCount, which is
already being maintained by Prototype.  Look again at the docs[1], it
tells you that it's doing that.  Hence your getting odd results.  If
you want to just use Ajax.activeRequestCount, you can do that; or if
you want to duplicate its functionality, you can do that by using your
own count variable, but you don't want to be modifying the one that's
also being modified by Prototype.