I finally got it...I was barking up the wrong tree. (Thanks anyway,
Alex)

Wrong way: Trying to update the (variable) value in the parameters
list.

Right way: Using the callback option and modifying the query string
before it's sent to the server.

This page clued me in that I needed to use the callback option:
http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/ajax-autocompleter

However, it didn't have an example of how to use it.  This page shows
how to do it:
http://horde.greendragonempire.com/news/276-scriptaculous-ajax-autocompleter-callback-example.html

Paul