Take a look at either

1. getInputs()... (http://www.prototypejs.org/api/form/getInputs)
or
2 . the $$ construct... http://www.prototypejs.org/api/utility/dollar-dollar

If you choose the $$ option, it'll be easier if all of the checkboxes
belong to the same class - e.g., class='first_checkbox'
You could do something like
   var checkboxes = $$('first_checkbox');
or
   var checkboxes = $$('input:[type="checkbox"]'); // if they're not
all the same class

then
checkboxes.each( function(s){
                //build the query string for your Ajax request
        });