Hi.

sort of thing.

Using some CSS and JS I've got all the checkboxes to line up in a grid
and it all looks very nice.

The labels are from a DB and are ordered alphabetically.

But when rendered, the list reads across and then down, rather than
down and then across.

e.g.

a b c d
e f g h
i j k l

rather than

a d g j
b e h k
c f i l

The grid (via the JS) auto sizes the spans to equally space the
elements. The number of columns is determined by the maximum size of
the labels, the size of the container and the screen size. None of
which is under my control, and therefore I'll never know up front how
many columns.

So, with that, is there a way to reorder the spans so they read in
columns first.

I've got a static mockup at http://pastebin.com/Sb5A83wh

Any ideas?

Regards,