Using Prototype version 1.6.1 (I know everyone is up to 1.7 but we can't
upgrade at this time)
Code looks like this:

var selectThis;
var radioTemplate = new
Template('input[type=radio][name=#{selectID}][value=#{selectValue}]');
var bValue = 1;  // this is actually set from the rc of a function and is
absolutely 1 but it shouldn't matter

selectThis = {selectID: 'owner', selectValue: bValue };
$$(radioTemplate.evaluate(selectThis))[0].writeAttribute("checked",
"checked");
the last line causes a throw and all processing stops. any ideas?

Thanks,

Phil