I have a menu of operations (shown as icons) that I want to reveal when the
user move their mouse over a region.  Prototype's event handling +
scriptaculous gives me great ways to do this.  However, I want to menu (a
floating div) to disappear when:

   1. Some time has elapsed and the user never moved into the menu.
   2. The user moves into the menu and then moves out of it.
   3. The user selects an item in the menu.

These all seem pretty easy to accomplish, but I keep running into weird edge
conditions.  Like if the user exposes the menu, moves the cursor into the
menu, and then minimizes all the windows on the screen (Windows-D), then
reveals the browser window... in my implementation the menu is still down
even though it no longer has focus!

It occurs to me that this is most likely a solved problem.  Probably solved
over and over and over.  So... can anyone recommend a simple solution that
will just handle all these edge conditions for me?  Or recommend an idiom I
can implement myself that will avoid the weird cases?

Thanks!

--
Shane McCarron
halindr...@gmail.com