I'll go for the last option ("recommend an idiom I can implement
myself that will avoid the weird cases").

It sounds like you're trying to make your page behave like a desktop
app.  Don't.

One (significant) reason is that by focusing on enter/leave, you're
automatically dropping support for mobile browsers.

Simply do a pushbutton toggle instead. If there's a click, open it up.
If a second click not in the popup, hide. This can still fail in
mobile, depending on how it's implemented. (sometimes a popup is on
the page, but not on he screen, and scrolling/resizing to find it
closes it. Infuriating.)

Even better: find a way to expose the information without a popup,
such as a slide down reveal or cover flow or some such. (Without
knowing your context, it's hard to make good recommendations.)

Bottom line: stay away from enter/leave unless you really, really need
to. It's not a technical answer, but I hope it is a practical one.

TAG