We've certainly had this discussion before and before weighing in I have to
go on record as saying that I like Prototype! It has made quite a few things
quite simple for me and I'm grateful for the work the authors have put into
the product and even more grateful for the kind people who pitch in and help
me when I get stuck.

Having said all that, in my opinion, nothing much has changed since the last
time we had this discussion.  History is filled with examples of better
technology loosing the battle to market share and eventually jquery will win
the war just based on sheer numbers while tools like prototype, ulze etc.
will become the oddities.

I still believe the things that prototype has to do is improve its
documentation, get some forums working and get off the antiquated mailing
list platform, get lots more sample code and libs published or promote
scripteka or whatever its called.  If those things aren't done then its only
a matter of time before jquery wins... certainly won't be this year but
perhaps late 2012 or mid 2013 the tipping point will be reached and jquery
will have enough market share to be considered the defacto standard.  I
mean, even now if you go looking for a piece of code almost everything you
find is jquery and when you do find a prototype version you find the author
has either just released or is planning a release under jquery.

I know if someone came to me and said "hey, I'll buy your site for 1/2
gazillion dollars but you have to replace prototype with jquery because its
all my developers use" then guess what, I'll be rewriting a bunch of code!
And trust me, a lot of sites get developed with an eye on being able to sell
them and using popular platforms is one of the ingredients to saleability.