The last word on this subject from Andrew Dupont was on October 7th, when he
wrote:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

(Dammit, I've got to set up an alert for this thread so new messages
don't fall through the cracks. Sorry for the late reply, guys.)

On Sep 2, 9:10 pm, Phil Petree <phil.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I read in to this is that Andrew has said he is not "planning" on
> ceasing development anytime soon BUT plans change and when something else
> takes his attention away, then development will cease.
>
> [snip]
>
> I think what I and others were looking for was some form of commitment... a
> commitment to moving the community forward was a commitment to prototypes
> future and I am left with the feeling that prototypes future is uncertain.

Your reading is correct, more or less. I have no plans to stop working
on Prototype, but I'm also not pledging an oath of support.
Truthfully, it's not that time-consuming to maintain, and I believe in
it and find it rewarding to work on, so right now I can't imagine what
could come up in my life to make me cease development on Prototype.
But the possibility remains. (Eventually, maybe after 1.7.1 gets
released, I'd like to find someone new to add to the core team so that
it can keep going if I need to step back.)

Or, in short: you're right that I can't give you a commitment.

On Sep 2, 9:10 pm, Phil Petree <phil.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew, this isn't a personal attack, I just need to speak frankly and
> honestly because I personally own my own sites and I write the code behind
> them.  If I invest tons of time in a framework like prototype then I am
> hitching my star to yours.  If you quit working on prototype then I am left
> with some major rewrites and those rewrites are not trivial and in one case
> could cost lives.

First of all: if you've got JavaScript that could kill people if you
try to refactor it... well, um, be careful with that. Yeah.

I understand what you're saying. How about this: if I ever decide to
cease development of Prototype, I'll release a script that ports the
Prototype API to jQuery (or whatever framework is atop the hill). In
other words, you'll be able to swap out Prototype with said script and
it'd just call the equivalent jQuery methods under the hood. That, at
least, would be a way forward for you. Does that help at all?

On Sep 15, 5:08 pm, greg <i...@wildanimaltracks.com> wrote:
> For instance: if we had
> volunteers who could project manage, do good design/CSS work, design a
> framework that allowed 'widgets' to share a common base/communicate,
> program, establish standards and so on, then with some effort we could
> have a great tool with great add-ons.  Imagine how simple things would
> be if all Prototype widgets shared the same CSS classes and usage.
>
> I'm willing to be a part of such a group.

This exists, in fact, albeit in an unfinished state. I've been working
on scripty2 UI [1], on and off, for about 18 months; it's designed to
use jQuery UI's CSS conventions so that you can use a jQUI theme for
scripty2 widgets and vice-versa. If you can help with this effort in
any way, I'm all ears.

Cheers,
Andrew

[1]: http://scripty2.com/doc/scripty2_ui_section.html

I hope this clarifies things a bit. I think it's still very much alive, and I'm
currently in the process of porting foundation to Prototype this afternoon as
my Open Source Friday project. I'm nearly done with the app.js file right now,
and no breakage or magick I couldn't work around to report.

Walter