I'm new to Prototype, and I'm trying to use AJAX to update divs inthe
background, pulling data from a database.  I've got Ajax.Updater to work
with the output of a form, but I'm having difficulty with adpting it for
use with a link.  Basically, I have a list of words produced by the db,
each of them a clickable link, and when I click on the word I want the
context of the word (likewise drawn from the db) to come up in a div below
the list.

What I have at the minute:

*calling page:*
onclick="get_word()">myword1</a></div>
onclick="get_word()">myword2</a>
<script>
function get_word()
{
    new Ajax.Updater
    (
        'output',
        'mylist.php',
        {
            method: 'get',
            parameters: { word: $(this).attr("id") }
        }
    );
}
</script>
*
mylist.php:*
[db connection stuff]
$word=trim($_GET['word']);
$sql=query("select * from mytable where word~'$word';");
while ($row=pg_fetch_object($sql))
{
    echo $context."<br />";
}

Run by itself, mylist.php gives the results I want, so I think I haven't
got the right invocation for the link, but after several hours searching
and experimenting, I have to ask!