On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:44:53AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Also note that the ntp people prefer you to use a stratum-2 or stratum-3
> server, not a stratum-1 server like time.nist.gov.  The load on stratum-1
> is already extraordinarily high keeping the other strata in sync, so the
> added load of workstations that could use a lower stratum should be
> avoided.  Pick 5 - 10 servers from this list:
>
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2.html
>
> and put them in your ntp.conf file.  Ntpd will handle finding the best
> timesource to synchronize against, and you'll minimize the load on the
> core of the NTP network.

I certainly don't think you need 5-10 servers!  For a typical home user,
2 normally suffice.  Your ISP probably has time servers available and
you should ask them first since they'll be the closest.  I synchronize
my Linux server at home to 3 systems (all area universities) and then
synchronize my other home systems to my Linux server.

The fewer the systems you can synchronize to, the better, unless you
have a very good reason for being paranoid (at work, we've also bought
our own stratum 1 time server).

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]