On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Justin Johnson wrote:
> After a new install, my computer fails to sync to the ntpd server
> (time.nist.gov).  After booting up, if I configure it via gnome, it
> syncs fine and corrects my time, but after rebooting it errors upon
> sync again.

This is unrelated to your question, but:

Please keep in mind that time.nist.gov is a stratum 1 server.  You
should only configure a machine to use time.nist.gov if that machine
is going to be a stratum 2 server, and will provide NTP service to 100
clients or more.

These guidelines are covered in the "Public NTP Time Servers Rules of
Engagement":

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html

(If you know all this and are setting up a stratum 2 server for your
site, then I apologize; it's just that your message gave me the
impression that you might be an end user who was being unintentionally
antisocial by using a stratum 1 server solely for your own PC.)

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute