Hi

On Oct 22, 2011, at 4:38 PM, Stephen Martin wrote:

I owned the current Gen server model of the mini for a couple weeks like i said
before, and  the sluggish without a monitor issue didn't seem to exist with
that one.

You did run safari?  That's where you really notice the issue.  I have a 2009
mini and I can confirm that this is an issue on snow leopard.  I haven't tried
it on lion.  Maybe it's a lion fix?

I also remember hearing from a number of sources before purchasing mine that
that issue was no longer with current gen mini's. The Mini is definitely
portable enough to take to a gig and etc. The downside to a mini is no battery
power option. Also remember if you guys plan to extend your apple care
protection plan past the 1 year that comes with your mac then be care flu about
upgrading after market. If apple didn't upgrade the internals or you didn't get
the ram from apple and install it yourself, they won't even look at your
machine when you try to get it serviced. So if you put after market parts in
there, put the originals back in before taking it back in for servicing or
before the tech shows up at your house.The only negative i have heard about
swapping out your optical drive for another internal Hard drive on the laptops
is it adds more weight to the machine. No complains about it overheating or
anything like that.

This is not what I was told by a Apple repair person.  In fact I had the
optical drive die in my 2010 mbp two months after I bought it.  I had changed
out the 2 gb sticks for 4 gb ones and had put an SSD in where there once was a
5400 rpm drive.  They opened the machine put a new drive in and had me out of
the store in 20 minutes with only having to sign once that the service had been
performed.  THese same people assured me when I purchased the mbp that I would
be able to put the components in the unit that I wanted and unless one of those
components was at fault they would fix the problem.

HTH
--FC