Yep, this is also a possibility but it assumes a couple of things:
1. All individual tracks are fine with no compression. This may or may not be
the case. If some of the tracks are especially dynamic, they might peek out and
disrupt the balance. It all depends on the source files, of course.

2. The same goes for eQ. If the source tracks vary between dull and bright and
contain problem frequencies on some or all of the tracks, it might be better to
treat them individually.

If it's a ton of backing vocals, processing them through a bus and
instantiating a plug-in on the auxiliary's insert is generally a good way to
go, providing the original individual tracks are in good condition. If it's
just a few tracks of vocals, processing power isn't a major concern these days.
I think it's simpler just to keep things separate. I guess it's a matter of
personal preference at what point the number becomes too high and bussing is
preferable.

Slau