Thanks, and your right, it is 21.5 and it is 2011. I think it maxes at 4 or 6 GB ram if I remember correctly. I do not have the UA card/shuttle, I was looking into it, but I couldn't find out how accessible it was with VO. I think that I just need to max out the ram and see what that does for me. My Mac is like a woman, I got to treat her just right, massage her a little and give her rest when she gets too tired, got to love it. I am finding out that Antari stuff can be a CPU hog from what I can tell and I am just avoiding it in real time recording for now.
Thanks for your thoughts
----- Original Message ----- From: "Monkey Pusher" <monkeypushe...@gmail.com>
To: <ptaccess@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: Anyone using an Imac

I am assuming you have a 21.5 iMac and not an 11.5. The problem here
is ram 2GB isn't enough really.  All modern iMacs have a ram hatch on
the back you can get to by removing two screws on the back. I'd
suggest figureing out which model you have  (can be found in about
this mac) and using a site like OWC or Crucial to figure out how much
ram that model maxes out at and  do just that.  If you aren't using
DSP cards for plug ins, the most amount of RAM you can throw at the
system the better off you  will be. I myself am running a 2011 27"
iMac with lion and i can tell you that its definately desktop
calibier parts in there. In fact as teh iMacs has become increasingly
more powerful its teh reason the mac pros haven't gotten such radical
updates in a while.  If memory  serves correct you have some DSP cards
from UA i believe. I'd suggest looking into one of those expansion
chasis  that hold  desktop cards and connect via thunderbold or
firewire, then you could offload some of that processing as well.