This is Correct,
Freedom Scientifics authorization scheme is based on sentinel systems,
which is a service that places a key locally on the computers hard
drive, and in many cases when that crashes and burns as it tends to
do, you need additional authorization. Same scheme that iTunes uses
for the most part.
 iLok as it stands is a great solution, recently I had to completely
reinstall the operating system and PT on my mac, and knowing that at
least my license was safe and sound on my iLok was actually a comfort!

Warm Regards:
Matt Diemert
330-980-0046