They should be able to work at the same time with no issues providing the OS
does not use the Pro Tools hardware for playback. Often, people set up their
computers to categorically use one hardware device for all system sounds
including applications. In the Audio/MIDI Setup utility, select the Pro tools
device that is being used for the HDX system, go to the pop-up menu and uncheck
the option that says something like "Use this device for system sounds."

Slau