Chris,

If you're in danger of clipping, you're recording way too hot. With something
like a vocal, your final peak should be -9 to -6 dB full scale. That means your
average level should be in the range of -18 to -12 dB. That's what headroom is
for. You're recording with 24 bits which give you a theoretical dynamic range
of of 140 decibels. The sources you're recording are nowhere near 140 decibels,
not even close. By pulling back your level, you'll eliminate any concern over
clipping. Pro Tools is designed to have average levels at -18 dB. 18 decibels
of headroom is plenty for just about anything you'll ever record.

Slau