Hi Cliff,

I think everybody can sympathize with wanting to get up and running as fast as
possible. There are two things that come to mind based on what you've just
written. If you're running on a fresh install, Spotlight will certainly spend a
bunch of time indexing any drives connected to the machine including the
internal drive. That might be the cause of initial CPU load if you just
installed the OS and tried to run Pro Tools early on.

More importantly, did you follow the Intro to Pro Tools system setup
instructions including turning off Spotlight indexing for recording drives?
Speaking of which, are you trying to record to an internal drive?

Slau