Hi all,
I got a really helpful mail this morning from Twistedwave support. Firstly they
seem open to accessibility concerns and said they would consider my suggestions
on scrubbing and other things for the future. Then they told me about some
undocumented keyboard shortcuts that can come in handy: You can actually select
small portions from the sound file using shift + left and right arrows.
Secondly you can scrub by shift+command clicking anywhere in the wave form
rather than having to locate the ruler that you drag in in order to scrub. ”But
the wave form isn’t visible” i hear you ask, and it is true, however there’s an
indicator or rather a text that tells you sample rate, bit depth etc, go up
from there with your physical mouse or track pad until you hear ”name of
project, window” where ”name of project” is the name of your audio file and
there is your wave form.
Now to my own findings:
It’s good if you turn cursor tracking off when playing with Twistedwave.
You may also want to consider setting ”cursor moves back after playing” to
checked. That way the cursor seems to move back to the play head when you stop
playing and i think though i can’t be certain about this, that this makes it
easier to scrub.
By default it looks like the wave form is very small so when you select, you
select in very long distances, so just like in all other wave editors, adjust
the zoom so the waveform gets bigger.
The edit short cuts dialog isn’t a loser after all, it’s quite smart in fact.
The way the dialog works is like this: You go into the dialog for editing
shortcuts, then it tells you to select an item from the menu to edit its short
cuts. VO+m to the menu bar and then go to a menu and select the menu item you
want to edit just as you would if you wanted to choose something from that
menu. Now another dialog pops up asking you for the keyboard shortcut. Enter
the shortcut you want and the dialog will close and you’re in the main window.
Now here’s a little tricky bit, because the edit shortcuts dialog stays open
however it’s not in focus so whatever you do do not select an item from a menu
because then you will be asked for a new shortcut for this item. Instead use
the window chooser, vo+f2 twice in rapid succession and you’ll be in the window
chooser menu, go down the menu until you hear ”edit shortcuts” and choose that
item. Now you’ll be in the edit shortcuts dialog again and you can ok the
choices you’ve made or revert to default short cuts or cancel the dialog
alltogether.
What i’d suggest you do is to set up a shortcut for going to start and end of
selections, those shortcuts will come in handy when you edit.
Hope this makes any sense.
Now here’s where i need your help guys: Could someone who works with
Twistedwave please help me explain to the devs in a technical way how to make
the wave form visible to VO? I don’t think you can make the wave form itself
visible so that you can interact with it and do fun stuff, although that would
be cool but one could do as they have done in some audio editors in IOS where
the wave form is, Voiceover says ”wave form”.
As i said, i hope any of this made sense.
/Krister