Hi Brian,

This is one of those philosophical questions that has, of course, no right or
wrong answer. Naturally, you already know that and are clearly just fielding
others' opinion. You've already gotten a couple of good responses. While
blindness surely isn't your focal point and it's probably mainly a nuisance to
you, as Scott mentioned, it's of interest to others. That said, I personally
don't think it should necessarily be the first or the last thing to bring up in
a bio. Somewhere in the middle is probably a good sweet spot. Also, bios are so
often ungracefully edited by others to fit into smaller spaces and you
essentially have absolutely no control over what happens there. To me, keeping
it in the middle is your best chance of either having it be non-foremost if the
bio is left untouched and not necessarily the first or last thing, prompting an
editor to have it stick out at the very beginning or as the last word in an
edited bio.

Incidentally, in a documentary called "Keep On Keepin' On,"currently in
theaters in several cities in the U.s., a jazz pianist named Justin Kauflin is
seen getting a phone call notifying him that he's gotten into the Thelonious
Monk jazz competition. Now, this could have all been staged for the cameras
but, at the end of the phone call, Justin mentions in passing to the organizer
that he happens to be blind and will partake in the competition with his guide
dog beside him on stage. Undoubtedly, all entrants have to submit bios and I'm
sure that Justin's bio doesn't glaze over the fact that he's blind. In fact, if
you look at his web site, it's prominently featured in his bio. What led to his
involvement with Clark Terry (the primary focus of this documentary), was the
fact that he was a blind jazz student at William Patterson college where Clark
Terry was a visiting instructor. CT, having had diabetes for some 60 years, was
starting to lose his sight. The connection with Justin was inevitable. This led
to Terry introducing Justin to Quincy Jones, Terry's first trumpet student. The
rest is history for Justin, who is now touring and signed to a record deal
because of Quincy. Justin is very talented and, if I'm not mistaken, a
subscriber to this list and I say this with all due respect. As talented as he
is, his blindness played a role in his career. It made him who he is. It drew
him to the piano in the first place. It was instrumental, so to speak, in the
situations that led to his current status. The rest, of course, is up to him.
The point I'm trying to make is that, as matter of fact as it is to so many of
us, it really is the 800-pound gorilla in the room as far as everybody else in
the world is concerned and that, for a musician, is usually a good thing. There
is the mystique and a stereotype of musicians having "golden ears." Whether or
not you have golden ears, let people think you do. As long as you're not
claiming it yourself, let others assume and it'll probably work to your
advantage most of the time. The rest, again, is up to you.

There's a great saying about talent:
Talent won't necessarily get you a gig but it will help you keep the gigs you
get.

I say, blindness won't help you keep the gigs you get but it might help you get
the gig if for no other reason that it's memorable.

Best,

Slau