Chris,

You need to select from anywhere other than the very beginning of the region.
Start some fraction of a second into the clip and then you have two choices:
either use Option-g to do a linear fade to the next region boundary or select
to the end of the clip and bring up the fades dialog with Command-f. In the
fades dialog, press Control-left arrow several times then press Control-right
arrow twice. You'll be on a fade out preset that should work for you.

The only reason why this wouldn't work in this case is if you have pasted the
vocals on top of other files that overlap the clips you pasted. In other words,
if you pasted something over which there is an underlying clip extending beyond
the boundary of the pasted clip, you'll be in a situation where the normal fade
dialog won't work the way you need it to work. Instead, Pro Tools will assume
you want to do crossfades. Anyway, this could potentially be a much bigger
subject if that's the case. Hopefully, what I mentioned at the outset will
suffice.

Slau