Eliminating variables is good practice when troubleshooting issues with any
situation. One overarching truth when editing in Pro Tools is that the way we
edit anything as VoiceOver users is through the edit insertion point and
keyboard shortcuts. Hiding all other tracks when editing is certainly not
necessary but, if one is having any issues, it's not a bad idea to isolate
things, hide all tracks and show only the track you're working on. Make sure
it's the only track that's selected. Be aware that, in a large session, you
might have your track selected and, even though it doesn't immediately appear
so, there may be a track all the way down the list, perhaps track 29 or 30,
that could be selected. You want to make sure that's not the case. One global
shortcut that's right at the beginning of the shortcuts pdf is one that many
users simply overlook and yet it's one of the most powerful shortcuts and that
is the Option-click. This will change the state of a control and toggle all
other similar tracks to the same state. So, if you want to ensure that no other
tracks are selected without even having to check, move to any selected track in
the table and Option-click the track name (not the show/hide status). The track
will become deselected. Then just click once on the track name again, without
the Option key this time, and it'll be the only track selected. If you want to
verify that your process is working, move to an unselected track and
Option-click it. Now you should see all of the tracks selected. Option-click
again and you'll see that all of the tracks are deselected. Keeping this global
shortcut in mind will help in situations where you need to be absolutely sure
that no tracks are muted. Move to a mute button and Option-click it twice. the
first time will mute all tracks, the second time will unmute all tracks.
HTH,
Slau