And I forgot to mention that your average level, depending on the material, can
hover anywhere from minus 18 to minus 14 or so but your peaks should be hitting
roughly minus 6 or so, again, depending on the type of signal. I'd be more
careful with highly transient material like drums or percussion and less so
with vocals. But if your peaks are only registering  minus 20, that's too low.
Slau