Yes, if you're in Waveform view, fades behave sort of like clips in the sense
that, when you tab and Shift Tab, etc. you will be selecting the fade and, when
you press Delete, you'll only be deleting the fade information and not the
underlying audio. This goes for fade ins, fade outs and crossfades.
HTH,
Slau