Mono reverbs and delays have their place. But this also varies from DAW to DAW.
Logic  for example will let you do a mono to stereo instance of something like
a reverb or delay. Not sure if PT does. If it doesn’t, then yes you will have
to send the mono vocal to a stereo AUX track if you want a stereo reverb.