The configuration mechanism is extremely flexible.  You can build GUI's
in many ways.  I suggest you look over the simple ones in the
ptolemy/configs directory.  For example, runConfiguration.xml offers
no user interface: it just runs a model.  runPanelConfiguration.xml
offers a run control panel and an HTML viewer for docs, but no vergil
block diagram editor. vergilConfigurationPtiny.xml offers a subset
of the domains and actor libraries.

Hope this helps.

Edward