I'll take a stab at answering your questions...

At 10:49 PM 11/13/2005 +0100, Reiner Jung wrote:
But now my questions:
1. Can Ptolemy handle 100-10000 actors in one simulation?

This is hard to know, since it depends a great deal on what
the model does...

I do know that some people have created rather large models
in Ptolemy II, but I also know that some spinoff projects
have focused on improving performance to get better scalability.
The Ptolemy Group itself has not put a great deal of emphasis
on optimizing performance.

2. Will such a model still produce results in my lifetime?

Again, this depends on the model.  I'm sure I could come up with a
model that doesn't produce results in your lifetime (even without
knowing what your lifetime might be :-)

3. Can such a simulation be distributed over several computers? (e.g. grid computing, Beowulf or with java-runtime things etc.)

The Kepler project (based on Ptolemy II, see http://kepler-project.org/)
integrates Ptolemy II with grid computing.

Hope this is helpful...

Edward