Hi Rao,
For details about mailing lists ,see
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/mailinglists.htm
and the search link on the above URL.

> Is there any reason why Ptolemy-II group is using a mailing list,

> instead of regular discussion forum?

Many years ago (1992), there was the ptolemy-hackers mailing list.
Then we started with a Usenet newsgroup (comp.soft-sys.ptolemy)
The Ptolemy-hackers mailing list is gatewayed to comp.soft-sys.ptolemy.
Ptolemy-hackers also goes to yahoo
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ptolemy-hackers/

and other places.

> Forum has several advantages:
> 1. Demand driven rather than data driven

I don't agree.  If it is not in my mailbox, I'll probably never
see it.  I know that many people don't read the newsgroup that
often, which is why I forward newsgroup items.

> 2. Won't fill up the mail box

See above.

> 3. Searching and reading is lot easy because all the mail headers are
> not displayed?

Google groups works pretty well here, or try the yahoo group.

_Christopher