Hi Eva,

Ok, I can replicate this with Sun's java.

The version of Java I tried was:
  -bash-3.1$ java -version
  java version "1.6.0_05"
  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode, sharing)

I did:
  wget http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII6.0/ptII6.0.2.src.tar.gz
  tar -zxf ptII6.0.2.src.tar.gz
  export PTII=/tmp/cxh/ptII6.0.2
  cd $PTII
  ./configure
  make >& make.out

What I get is:

../../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable this cannot
be referenced from a static context
        private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTerm() {
                                                         ^

To fix this:

1) Use Java 1.5 with Ptolemy II 6.0.2, which is what Ptolemy II 6.0.2
   is documented as using.

or

2) Try Ptolemy II 7.0.beta, which should work with Ptolemy Java 1.6

or

3) Fix the bug in Ptolemy II 6.0.2.  This could be very difficult
because there are other changes between 6.0.2 and 7.0.

I recommend using Ptolemy II 7.0.beta.  Ptolemy II 7.0.1 should be out
shortly.

_Christopher

--------

    Hello. Thank you all for your advice.
    I have tried to install ptolemy on ubuntu as much as I could these days...

    However, I still have the same problem.
    My java is SUN java located in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin.

    When I run ./configure I get two errors but I do not think they are severe.
    have attached them at the end.

    Then I run either (make and make install) or (make >& make.out) as Christop
   her
    suggests. But nothing happens. I have gnu make 3.81.
    Some error I have are:
    fast build with 'CLASSPATH="../../.." /usr/bin/javac -g -O *.java' in
    /usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/actor/parameters
    LocationParameter.java:73: cannot access
    ptolemy.data.type.MatrixType.DoubleMatrixType
    class file for ptolemy.data.type.MatrixType$DoubleMatrixType not found
            setTypeEquals(BaseType.DOUBLE_MATRIX);
                                  ^
    ./../../ptolemy/data/type/MatrixType.java:158: incompatible types
    found   : ptolemy.data.type.MatrixType.DoubleMatrixType
    required: ptolemy.data.type.MatrixType
                matrixType = BaseType.DOUBLE_MATRIX;
                                     ^
    2 errors
   -
    make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/copernicus/ke
   rnel'
    fast build with
    'CLASSPATH="../../..:/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/lib/sootclasses.jar:/usr/loca
   l/src/ptII6.0.2/lib/jasminclasses.jar:/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/lib/polyglotc
   lasses-1.3.2.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/lib/jv
   m/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/lib/jce.jar"
    /usr/bin/javac -g -O *.java' in /usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/copernicus
   /kernel
    ./../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable this cann
   ot
    be referenced from a static context
            private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTer
   m() {
                                                             ^
    ./../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable this cann
   ot
    be referenced from a static context
            private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTer
   m() {

       ^
    Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated
    fast build with 'CLASSPATH="../../../../../.." /usr/bin/javac -g -O *.java'
    in
    /usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/codegen/c/domains/sdf/lib
    ./../../../../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable
    this cannot be referenced from a static context
            private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTer
   m() {
                                                             ^
    ./../../../../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable
    this cannot be referenced from a static context
            private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTer
   m() {

       ^
    Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    2 errors
    make[6]: Leaving directory
    `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/codegen/c/actor/lib/test'
    fast build with 'CLASSPATH="../../../../.." /usr/bin/javac -g -O *.java' in
    /usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/codegen/c/actor/lib
    ./../../../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable thi
    cannot be referenced from a static context
            private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTer
   m() {
                                                             ^
    ./../../../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable thi
    cannot be referenced from a static context
            private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTer
   m() {

       ^
   ---
    I have also tried to compile either with CLASSPATH set, or without. Still
    nothing good happens.

    In ptolemy/data/type I have the attached classes after the compilation.
    I do have TypeLattice.class in there and not in ptolemy/data.

    I have tried to install ptolemy in a new ubuntu 7-10 machine. I got the err
   ors
    at the end.

    It seems that there is a problem with ubuntu somehow. I would like to insta
   ll
    Viptos and I have already installed tinyos-2.x on ubuntu, so ptolemy is the
    other prerequisite for VIPTOS. I think I should try to migrate to another
    Linux distribution. In that case I will unfortunatelly have to go through t
   he
    painfull installation of tinyos(package after package).

    I would appreciate any new suggestion upon these.

    Thanks in advance,

    Eva Kolega
    Phd student
    National Technical University of Athens, GREECE

    -------------REST OF THE ERRORS--------------------------------------------
   --
    -------------configure errors----------------------------------------------
   --

    configure: WARNING: '"/usr/bin/javac" java3dTest.java' failed.
        http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/download.html

    import quicktime.std.movies.media.*;
    ^
    1 error
    checking the which major type of OS we are running under... Linux
    configure: WARNING: '"/usr/bin/javac" quickTime3dTest.java' failed.
        You may need to install QuickTime with the 'QuickTime For
        Java' option from http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/qtjava/
        During installation, choose 'custom' and then 'select all'.
        This drops QTJava.zip into the lib/ext of all your installed JREs.
        Then you have to copy this zip file to the jre/lib/ext directory
        of your SDK and rerun configure.
        If configure still fails, you may need to unzip the QTJava.zip
        file and create a QTJava.jar file:
           # unzip QTJava.zip
           cd QTJava
           jar -cf ../QTJava.jar .
        QuickTime for Java is only needed if you want to build in
        /usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/domains/gr/lib/quicktime,
        otherwise the build will proceed fine without Quicktime for Java.

    --------------ptolemy/data/type classes------------------------------------
   -

    ArrayType.java                      MatrixType$ComplexMatrixType.class
    BaseType$1.class                    MatrixType$DoubleMatrixType.class
    BaseType$BooleanType.class          MatrixType$FixMatrixType.class
    BaseType.class                      MatrixType$IntMatrixType.class
    BaseType$ComplexType.class          MatrixType.java
    BaseType$DoubleType.class           MatrixType$LongMatrixType.class
    BaseType$EventType.class            MonotonicFunction.class
    BaseType$GeneralType.class          MonotonicFunction.java
    BaseType$IntType.class              package.html
    BaseType.java                       README.txt
    BaseType$LongType.class             RecordType$1.class
    BaseType$NilType.class              RecordType.class
    BaseType$ObjectType.class           RecordType$FieldType.class
    BaseType$PetiteType.class           RecordType.java
    BaseType$ScalarType.class           StructuredType.class
    BaseType$StringType.class           StructuredType.java
    BaseType$UnknownType.class          test
    BaseType$UnsignedByteType.class     Typeable.class
    BaseType$UnsizedFixType.class       Typeable.java
    BaseType$XmlTokenType.class         Type.class
    demo                                TypeConstant.class
    FixType.class                       TypeConstant.java
    FixType.java                        Type.java
    FunctionType$1.class                TypeLattice$1.class
    FunctionType.class                  TypeLattice.class
    FunctionType$FieldTypeTerm.class    TypeLattice.java
    FunctionType.java                   TypeLattice$TheTypeLattice.class
    HasTypeConstraints.class            UnionType$1.class
    HasTypeConstraints.java             UnionType.class
    makefile                            UnionType$FieldType.class
    MatrixType$BooleanMatrixType.class  UnionType.java
    MatrixType.class

    ---------------make errors on a new Ubuntu 7.10 installation--------------
    cp: cannot stat `*.class': No such file or directory
    make[2]: [img.jar] Error 1 (ignored)
    Creating img.jar
    (cd ptjar_tmpdir; "/usr/bin/jar"  -cvf tmp.jar .)
    /bin/sh: /usr/bin/jar: not found
    make[2]: *** [img.jar] Error 127
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/img'
    making jars in doc/tour
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/tour'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/tour'
    making jars in doc/tutorial
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/tutorial'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/tutorial'
    making jars in doc/ui
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/ui'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/ui'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `coding/codingConfig.jar', needed by
    `docConfig.jar'.  Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc'
    make: *** [subinstall] Error 2

    Christopher Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

    > Hi Eva,
    > Either your classpath is not set properly or else the file
    > $PTII/ptolemy/data/TypeLattice.class does not exist.
    >
    > Does $PTII/ptolemy/data/TypeLattice.class exist?
    >
    > Did you build Ptolemy using the commands below?
    >  cd $PTII
    >  ./configure
    >  make >& make.out
    >
    > Does make.out contain errors? Look for lines that have "***" in them.
    >
    > _Christopher
    >
    > --------
    >
    >     Hello everybody.
    >
    >     Many thanks to Christopher who has helped me a lot with ptolemy. It w
   orks f
    >    ine
    >     on Solaris 10 with gnu make.
    >
    >     Now I am trying to install ptolemy on ubuntu 7.10 but I have too many
    error
    >     with java.
    >
    >     I have set PTII, PATH and CLASSPATH variables.
    >
    >     I do not know what is wrong.
    >
    >     I would be grateful if I had a suggestion for a workaround.
    >
    >     Thanks in advance,
    >
    >     Eva Kolega
    >     Phd student
    >     National Technical University of Athens, GREECE

   SAdapt
    >    ive.xml
    >     Warning, failed to parse
    >     $CLASSPATH/ptolemy/domains/sdf/demo/LMSAdaptive/LMSAdaptive.xml
    >     com.microstar.xml.XmlException: XML element "property" triggers excep
   tion:
    >       java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
    >     ptolemy.data.type.TypeLattice in
    >     http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/xml/dtd/MoML_1.dtd at line 7 and col
   umn 69
    >     Caused by:
    >      java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
    >     ptolemy.data.type.TypeLattice

   ve
    >     mail for this list to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   edu