"J. Sukarno Mertoguno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
--------
    Is there anyway that I can get ptolemy 2 running on Linux.
    Seems that the problem is JDK 1.2, (java plug in), is not
    available for Linux yet (and who knows when it is going to be
    available). Can the earlier version of ptolemy II be installed on
    Linux, which version?

    It seems to me that using java might be the limiting factor as far as
    usage/users are concerned, since it put it/us on the mercy of SUN.

    Best regards,
    Karno
--------
This is a good question, and worth covering on ptolemy-hackers.

The short answer is that to run the demonstrations within Netscape
or IE, you need the JDK1.2 Plug-in.  To run the demos under
appletviewer, you only need the JDK1.2 appletviewer.

I believe that www.blackdown.org has a JDK1.2 version, but I have not
tried it with Ptolemy II.  I'd be interested in hearing about any
problems with the blackdown.org JDK1.2 and Ptolemy II

The longer answer is

http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII0.3/
says
  The Ptolemy II 0.3 applets require the JDK1.2 plug-in. If you have
  JDK1.2 installed on your machine, then the plug-in may already be
  installed. You may obtain the JDK1.2 plug-in from JavaSoft The plug-in
  is easiest to use from a Windows machine. If you don't have access to
  a Windows machine, you can run the applets by downloading Ptolemy II
  0.3 and running make demo.  For more information, see the Plug-In
  section of the Installation page.

The Plug-in section of the Installation page leads to the
troubleshooting guide which describes the situation further.  The
Ptolemy II Design doc also covers Plug-in issues in Chapter 2.

The Plug-in is necessary if you want to run the demos within Netscape
or IE.  If the JDK1.2 Plug-in is not available on your platform, then
you can run the demos with the appletviewer.  The downside is that the
HTML surrounding the applet is not visible inside the appletviewer.

Ptolemy II can be used to develop standalone applications as well as
applets.  For standalone applications, the JDK1.2 Plug-in is not
necessary.

We chose to use the JDK 1.2 Plug-in to make it easier for people using
Windows to run the demos.  The downside of this decision is that
non-Windows users suffer slightly.  However, personally, I'm very
interested in supporting Linux and non-Windows platforms.

The 0.2 snapshot release of Ptolemy does not use the Plug-in, but the
0.2 snapshot release is obsolete and does not have many of the
features in 0.3.  0.3 includes many more well designed actors and far
better infrastructure for actor writers.  I don't recommend installing
0.2, instead, I recommend downloading 0.3 and having a look at the
design doc at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII0.3/ptII0.3/doc/design/design.pdf

-Christopher