Christopher Hylands wrote:

> "J. Sukarno Mertoguno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> --------
>     Is there anyway that I can get ptolemy 2 running on Linux.
>     Seems that the problem is JDK 1.2, (java plug in), is not
>     available for Linux yet (and who knows when it is going to be
>     available). Can the earlier version of ptolemy II be installed on
>     Linux, which version?
>
>     It seems to me that using java might be the limiting factor as far as
>     usage/users are concerned, since it put it/us on the mercy of SUN.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Karno
> --------
> This is a good question, and worth covering on ptolemy-hackers.
>
> The short answer is that to run the demonstrations within Netscape
> or IE, you need the JDK1.2 Plug-in.  To run the demos under
> appletviewer, you only need the JDK1.2 appletviewer.
>
> I believe that www.blackdown.org has a JDK1.2 version, but I have not
> tried it with Ptolemy II.  I'd be interested in hearing about any
> problems with the blackdown.org JDK1.2 and Ptolemy II

Hi,

I run Linux RedHat version 5.2 with the JDK1.2 from www.blackdown.org. Until now
I haven't had any problems with compiling Ptolemy II or running the applets
with the appletviewer. Ptolemy II thus runs out-of-the-box on my Linux laptop with
no problems. I have heard, however, that running JDK1.2 with RedHat 6.0 is a sure
route to trouble. With respect to the plug-in, just check the blackdown site regularly
for further comments on scheduled releases of the plug-ins.

Bart Kienhuis

--
Dr.ir. Bart Kienhuis                Post Doc at EECS Dept.
phone: 510-643-7612                   558 Cory Hall # 1774