Setting the classpath is truely a pain.

There are limitations in where an applet will look for classes.
I think one limitation is that it will not look in directories
that are far away from the directory where the applet is found

You can control this by modifying the system policy at
java.home/lib/security/java.policy
or your own policy in ~/.java.policy

In general, I find that it is easiest to work in small steps with
applets and make small changes one at a time, and when in doubt to run
appletviewer rather than Netscape or IE.

The Ptolemy II release contains notes about applets at:
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII0.4/ptII0.4/doc/coding/applets.htm

You might try searching
http://developer.javasoft.com
for AccessControlException and seeing what turns up

-Christopher
--------

    Hi
    I'm new to Ptolemy and have Ptolemy II 0.4beta running on both a Solaris
    workstation and an NT machine.  I can get applets to compile and run ok, bu
    only when they are in the ptolemy directories; i.e. not when their in my
    home directory.  They'll compile ok but throw a
    java.security.AccessControlException (see below) upon initiating with
    appletviewer.

    'access denied (java.io.FilePermission
    /home/matt/Design_Automation/TutorialApplet.class read)'

    This happens in both Solaris and NT.  I have set up the classpaths accordin
    to the documentation on both machines.

    Please help

    Sorry for wasting your time on this probably trivial matter,

    Matt.