Don> PTP has a sizable stash of WGTs. i still use a PTP node every day
Don> (Urban Grind NW), and I am convinced the splash pages cause more
Don> trouble than they're worth. the essid of www.personaltelco.net is
Don> a great way to get branding/awareness. noone reads the EULA and
Don> its legal standing is dubious. I suggest nucabs be replaced with
Don> WGTs with no captive portal. Remote debugging and usage tracking
Don> can be done with ssh and iptables. It costs $0 to implement.

I will note here that WGT+wifidog has not been reported to have the
problem that we've seen on the Buffalo+wifidog, which implies (as
Tyler once suggested) that memory might be a factor.  The WGT has
32meg of RAM, while the Buffalo's we've deployed have half that, I
think.

We do still get occasional complaints about the captive portal timing
out too quickly.  It would be nice to fix that.  And the problem with
the "Use the Internet" text being too small is occasionally
confusing.

As for ssh/iptables, it would be nice to get some help developing that
approach into something workable.  The principle problem for ssh is
where nodes are not on static IPs.  One of the utilitarian functions
of wifidog is to send a heartbeat, that tells the authserver where the
hell it is.  By looking at the authserver logs, you can tell what IP
it is coming from and if there is a port-forward set up, you can ssh
back in.  If you don't have a port-forward, you need something like
openvpn.

I am not completely against using WGTs, though: a) they aren't
replacable; and b) they'd be kind of nice to use in new residential
node deployments, like Pete Forsyth's and PixelFace.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
[EMAIL PROTECTED]