The following is an excerpt from here: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_excomm/19990305_xex_lesson_forgo.shtml

Now the Communist Chinese troops have targeted ours stationed at Taiwan in the straits. They have sent the signal, and the countries of Western Asia have seen it. To our recent demands the Communist Chinese have either not responded at all or have responded by telling us to mind our own business and have now even stated without equivocation that if we dare to try and protect Taiwan, they will give missiles and missile technology to other countries that are hostile toward us. With each futile pretense of a gesture from this president the Chinese Communists only increase their drive to dominate the Western Pacific. The message to all of the surrounding countries is as clear as it can be: China, not the U.S., is the real power in Western Asia.