On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

On 26 Nov 2008, at 21:53, John Graybeal wrote:
<snip>
would you agree that duplicating a massive set of URIs for 'local technical simplification' is a bad practice? (In which case, is the question just a matter of scale?)

You are asking me if 'local technical simplification' is a good reason or a bad reason for duplicating URIs? Uh, I guess it depends...

My point was this: The key benefits of URI re-use can also be obtained by minting your own URIs and linking them to existing URIs via adequate RDF properties. And that practice can have additional practical/implementation benefits (and costs). Hence, consider both options; there's no reason to knee-jerk against creating new identifiers.

I agree in theory with Richard, but in practice with John. The key benefits of URI re-use can only be gained by using multiple URIs if we have "adequate URI properties" (i.e. owl:sameAs?) and given an adequate reasoning system that can identify the same URIs in any data set - including large ones - where we want to merge data using these "inferred to be the same" URIs.

To my knowldge, we have neither adequate URI properties or working reasoning services, at least for the end-user. Now perhaps this will change, but if not, why not re-use URIs?

If we do have adequate URI properties besides the infamous owl:sameAs, please point me to them. And while at ISWC there was clearly lots of work on large-scale identity management trying to discover URI equivalences via inference, I'm not sure how well that works right now.

Furthermore, there's the question of what URI to use in the output if one is identifying URI's to be the same and one wants to re-use the merged data.

                -harry

 > Best,
Richard

John

John Graybeal   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  -- 831-775-1956
Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org

--
                                --harry

        Harry Halpin