Thanks, looks interesting. I've also found related work:
https://www.uni-koblenz-landau.de/koblenz/fb4/institute/IFI/AGStaab/Research/systeme/NetworkedGraphs/

But there does not seem to be a library one can use with, say, Sesame.

On Jul 24, 2009, at 15:43 , Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:

Did you look at SPIN?

http://spinrdf.org/

That should allow you do do a lot with data without leaving the now mainstream Semantic Web technology stack (as long as a small fragment of OWL is sufficient for you).

Best
Martin

Axel Rauschmayer wrote:
I'm currently reading Hendler's brilliant book "Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist". It really drove home the point that OWL is not a good fit when using RDF for *data* (names are generally not unique, open world assumption, ...).

But what is the alternative? For my applications, I have the following requirements:

- Properties: transitivity, inverse, sub-properties.
- Resources, classes: equivalence. For my purposes, equivalence is a way of implementing the topic merging in topic maps [1].
- Constraints for integrity checking.
- Schema declaration: partially overlaps with constraints, serves for documentation and for providing default values for properties. - Computed property values: for example, one property value being the concatenation of two other property values etc.

The difficulty seems to me to find something universal that fulfills these requirements and is still easy to understand. Inference, when used for transitivity and equivalence, is simple, but when it comes to editing RDF, they can confound the user: Why can some triples be replaced, others not? Why do I have to replace the triples of a different instance if I want to replace the triples in my instance?

While it's not necessarily easier to understand for end users, I've always found Prolog easy to understand, where OWL is more of a challenge.

So what solutions are out there? I would prefer description logic programming to OWL. Does Prolog-like backward-chaining make sense for RDF? If so, how would it be combined with SPARQL; or would it replace it? Or maybe something frame-based?

Am I making sense? I would appreciate any pointers, hints and insights.

Axel

[1] http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/index.html#desc-merging

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mh...@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
       http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearcMonkey:
http://tr.im/rAbN

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009: "Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page: