Hi Juan,

Juan Sequeda wrote:
Gotcha! Now I understand perfectly.

I'm trying to get the local businesses in Austin to add RDFa. However, I
have nothing tangible to show them. IMHO, the best way to convince business
to do this is if you go through the SEO people. But until we don't see Yahoo
(and Google) taking advantage of RDFa to enhance results, the business won't
go through the hassle of adding RDFa.
Yes and no ;-)
Yes, as far as the SEOs are concerned: I will be presenting GoodRelations + RDFa at SES 2009 in Chicago, likely one of the most important SEO events, and there is already give some interest among SEO experts in GoodRelations.

SEOs will have a huge market opportunity for helping companies optimize their GoodRelations markup. It will turn SEO from the art of improving a rank to the science of minimizing the search effort for a very specific target audience.

No, as far as Yahoo and Google are concerned: Their current moves are into the right direction, but in my opinion much too slow and cautious. Additional details in Google and Yahoo search results are nice for convincing a local business to create a bit of GoodRelations markup. But that would be exploiting only 1% of the business potential.

Getting the remaining 99% of the cake will require different technology approaches and business models. I guess they will smell the cheese and increase their investment fundamentally very soon.

So it may be good for a small business to see a bit of extra data in Google, Yahoo, and Bing. But the real target applications will be more fundamental innovations.

*One final question. Yahoo crawls all vocabularies while Google only crawls
their vocabulary, right?
To my knowledge, both crawl only a predefined list of vocabs. Fortunately, Yahoo crawls standard vocabs, Google invented their own
 Austin is the live music capital of the world, so
imagine the amount of music and event data on websites. If I use the music
ontology to mark up the data, will Yahoo crawl this and potentially use it
in their search results?
You have to ask Yahoo :-)
 What is the best vocabulary for events (venue,
time, description, price)?
For events, I don't know. There is an austrian initiative, but it is still pretty much alpha.

As for the price: GoodRelations. Because, again an important distinction: It is not the event that has a price - it is a ticket (permission) to attend the event that has a price ;-)

There will be a respective recipie at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelationsTickets

soon; currently it is a stub...

Best
Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mh...@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
        http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype: mfhepp twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://tr.im/rAbN

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009: "Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Talk at
Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe