On Nov 23, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Herbert Van de Sompel wrote:
On Nov 23, 2009, at 4:59 PM, Erik Hetzner wrote:
At Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:40:33 -0500,
Mark Baker wrote:

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.pe...@gmail.com > wrote:
It should be up to resource creators to determine when the nature of a resource changes across time. A web architecture that requires every
single edit to have a different identifier is a large hassle and
likely won't catch on if people find that they can work fine with a
system that evolves constantly using semi-constant identifiers, rather
than through a series of mandatory time based checkpoints.

You seem to have read more into my argument than was there, and
created a strawman; I agree with the above.

My claim is simply that all HTTP requests, no matter the headers, are
requests upon the current state of the resource identified by the
Request-URI, and therefore, a request for a representation of the
state of "Resource X at time T" needs to be directed at the URI for
"Resource X at time T", not "Resource X".

I think this is a very compelling argument.

Actually, I don't think it is. The issue was also brought up (in a significantly more tentative manner) in Pete Johnston blog entry on eFoundations (http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2009/11/memento-and-negotiating-on-time.html ). Tomorrow, we will post a response that will try and show that "current state" issue is - as far as we can see - not quite as "written in stone" as suggested above in the specs that matter in this case, i.e. Architecture of the World Wide Web and RFC 2616. Both are interestingly vague about this.

Just to let you know that our response to some issues re Memento raised here and on Pete Johnston's blog post (http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2009/11/memento-and-negotiating-on-time.html ) is now available at:

http://www.cs.odu.edu/~mln/memento/response-2009-11-24.html

We have also submitted this as an inline Comment to Pete's blog, but Comments require approval and that has not happened yet.

Greetings

Herbert Van de Sompel

==
Herbert Van de Sompel
Digital Library Research & Prototyping
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Research Library
http://public.lanl.gov/herbertv/
tel. +1 505 667 1267