Frederick Giasson wrote:
Hi Jeni,

One project, amongst other, in this trend is irON [1] (with its irJSON[2] serialization profile).

Also note that a revision of this specification will be released in the coming month or so based on the latest work we have done regarding the development of some parsers. The biggest areas that has been enhanced is related to the "schema".

I think this project is in direct relation with the goal you stated: "what I think we should aim for is a pure publishing format that is optimised for approachability for normal developers, *not* an interchange format."

Another thing I really find interesting with irON is its commON[3][4] profile (CSV) which has been developed to easily create and manage datasets of records description in spreadsheet applications (mainly Excel and OpenOffice Calculator).

Do not hesitate to ask any questions regarding irON or any of its profile, questions about some design decisions we take that lead to this specification, etc.

[1]  http://openstructs.org/iron/iron-specification
[2]  http://openstructs.org/iron/iron-specification#mozTocId462570
[3]  http://openstructs.org/iron/iron-specification#mozTocId603499
[4] http://www.mkbergman.com/845/a-most-un-common-way-to-author-datasets/

Fred,

Why not use Jeni's dump as a usecase example/tutorial re. irON? A What (for the problem), Why (for irON virtues) and a How (an example based on the usecase presented). This is how you can formulate a very sharp apex for the irON value pyramid. Also note, UK, US, and Aussie governments (amongst others) are all hitting the publishing of structured data hump.

Kingsley

Thanks!

Take care,

Fred