I guess what surprises me is your use of "can't" in "We can't produce ..." instead of "shouldn't", as in "We shouldn't produce high fidelity descriptions of things that aren't unambiguosly identified, because if we do, there will be no reliable way to merge descriptions from different sources."

I think it's obvious that we "can" since we do it all the time. That we shouldn't may be true, although it is, I think you'll agree, a contested claim.

Joel.