On 19/01/2011 3:55 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

The information on how to fully determine equivalence according to the
URI spec is distributed across a wide and growing number of different
specifications (because it is schema dependent) and could, in
principle, change over time. Because of the distributed nature of the
information it is not feasible to fully implement these rules.
Optionally implementing these rules (each implementor choosing where
on the ladder they want to be) would mean that documents written in
RDF (and derivative languages) would be interpreted differently by
different implementations, which is an unacceptable feature of
languages designed for unambiguous communication. The fact that the
set of rules is growing and possibly changing would lead to a similar
situation - documents that meant one thing at one time could mean
different things later, which is also unacceptable, for the same
reason.

Well put, I meant to point out the implications of scheme-dependence and you've covered it very clearly.

David (Wood) clarifies (surprisingly to me as well) that the issue of
normalization could be addressed by the working group. I expect,
however, that any proposed change would quickly be determined to be
counter to the instructions given in the charter on Compatibility and
Deployment Expectation, and if not, would be rejected after justified
objections on this basis from reviewers outside the working group.

+1

Dave