On 17 Jun 2011, at 14:51, adasal wrote:

> Don't expect any support from that quarter. (Well apart from a few unhelpful
> scraps.)
>
> The question is how can the SemWeb academic community address these issues?

There is the hacker community too, btw. The academic community is looking to be
way ahead of the curve, and loves dealing with problems that are difficult to
solve. The hacker communuity may be more interested in building things that
work and are immediately useful - there is just no other way to grow the
community of knowledgeable users.

So I think it is the developer hacker community that one has to look at. And
that means looking at the problem space and working out what solutions are
viral - so that every hacker will want to participate - and also which can be
implemented easily with current available tools by the largest community of
developers.

So for this you don't want to rely on the "big" players. They can't help that
much, because they will tend to build things that work best for them: are
centralised and don't work that well in a distributed space.

You need something where each user benefits when every other user joins. And in
my view that is the social web. The web started in exactly the same way: a few
people built web pages that linked together. Each person that did found it
valuable to convince others to join too. With structured linked data one can do
the same thing, if one makes the data potent: ie it has to have an effect on
people: by joining a group you get access to a party, a community of users, a
discussion forum.

In that space we have foaf you may say. But nobody really bothered making it
potent. For example the viral part is missing: we only just wrote up a paper on
how to make friending easy (viral) http://bblfish.net/tmp/2011/05/09/

So what the linked data community needs is really to go back to basics and
build really useful applications of linked data, where you get more and more
people to join in by showing immediate benefits.

Henry

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/