  EJ> Reification?
  >>
  >> That's who, not why.

  BP> No, you can do both with reification.

Well, you can do anything with anything:-)

  >> The Gene Ontologies evidence codes are and references are much
  >> closer.
  >>
  >> Also, I am not sure of the semantics of reification.

  BP> RDF reification has very little to no built in semantics. What
  BP> it provides is a standardized syntax.

Ok. I presume it provided a standardised syntax for something, at
least implied.

Does it mean, then, when a triple is reified that the triple is in
some way associated with this other resource?

The association is done by the reification using a URI which is intended to identify the triple. However, there is no 'standard' way to associate a URI with an RDF triple. This is exactly the problem that named graphs were proposed as a way to solve. The other is that one rarely wants to assign properties like belief and provenance to a single triple; and saying that you believe/are responsible for a graph, and saying that you believe/are responsible for every triple in the graph, might well not be exactly equivalent. Since one can always treat a single triple as a very small graph when needed, the graph seems to be the best 'unit' to choose.

  BP> However, all this *supports* your point. There *IS* no
  BP> standardized way to represent this sort of information.  There
  BP> is a more or less standard (and widely loathed) hook/technique
  BP> upon which you could build a standard mechanism for representing
  BP> this sort of information.

Yeah, thats my feeling. Reification is a start for doing this, and
might provide a underpinning.

I really would suggest the named graphs would be a better underpinning. Unlike reification, they do have a full semantics and a clear deployment model, and they follow in a long tradition of naming document-like semantic entities. And unlike RDF reification, they are not widely loathed, and they are fairly widely supported.

Pat

Phil

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office