At 01:52 PM 5/31/2007, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

Barry,

Thanks for your e-mail. It was a hastily constructed definition and you have
raised some interesting questions.

1. Does the presence of all participants of a process at a location enough to
define the presence of a process at a location?

Sounds reasonable to me.

2. I do not claim to understand the OBO definition of a biological process, but from a computer science point of view, a process running on a computer can have
states, e.g., activated, terminated, suspended, waiting-for-event, etc. These
states may correlate to some aggregation of states of participants in the
process. But I am not sure of the reason why a process cannot have a state?

It is (it seems to me) the program or algorithm or plan (all continuants) which is activated. If a process is suspended or terminated, then surely the process is not there any more.
And processes do not wait; people (for example) wait.

This terminology of 'states' is not, it seems to me, ontologically clear.
With greetings
Barry

3. Of course the notion of essential state of a participant of a process is
close to the notion of the state of the process.

Look forward to your feedback on this.

Cheers,

---Vipul

Vipul Kashyap, Ph.D.
Senior Medical Informatician
Clinical Informatics R&D, Partners HealthCare System
Phone: (781)416-9254
Cell: (617)943-7120
http://www.partners.org/cird/AboutUs.asp?cBox=Staff&stAb=vik

To keep up you need the right answers; to get ahead you need the right questions
---John Browning and Spencer Reiss, Wired 6.04.95