At 02:29 PM 6/18/2007, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

On Jun 12, 2007, at 3:53 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi Waclaw,

Matthias, if you look carefully at BFO, you'll see that roles are
entities.  This means that evidences, as roles, are entities.

Of course. I just wanted to differentiate that an experiment is not
an instance of any class called 'evidence' (in other words, an
experiment 'is not' evidence). Instead, it should be associated
with an 'evidence-role'.

The only problem with this is that roles inhere in continuants rather
than in occurrents. One way around this is not to say that evidence
is an experiment, but rather the results of an experiment.

This seems exactly right to me -- evidence has to be a continuant, not only because it is a role, but also because it has to be provided (gained) and then used (conceivably by many separate groups in many separate endeavours). BS