I think Alan Rector's paper is still relevant to your use case. My understanding is that, in his view, HL7/RIM/CDA are *information model* constructs that use *terminology codes* that are induced/have bindings from ontology or *model of reality" things. So if you are modeling eligibility criteria using HL7RIM/CDA, most of the items in your spreadsheets are terminology codes, not entities in an ontology.

There are so many ways to model eligibility criteria. I am not sure I understand "filling this table with HL7/RIM/CDA constructs." The RIM Acts have criterion mood. So an eligibility criterion involving "Serum Creatine," for example, can be an Observation Act in criterion mood with code = a terminology code for Serum Creatinine and value = an interval of Physical Quantity (and maybe effectiveTime to express temporal constraint. Presumably Tom Marley's OWL ITS of the HL7 RIM would give you such a RIM construct the criterion in OWL syntax. (Alternatively, you can use GELLO to write the criterion). Using OWL expressions to model eligibility criteria is another matter. I apologize if these comments reflect my ignorance about what you are doing. I am not familiar with prior discussions about the spreadsheet.

Samson
On Jan 16, 2008, at 8:18 PM, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

Samson,

Thanks for the pointer. Our use case is different, we are more interested in using HL7/RIM constructs to model eligibility criteria for some diabetes related clinical protocols.

An initial attempt at doing this is available at:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/ClinicalObservationsInteroperability/RIMRDFOWL?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=ModelingConstructsForDiabetesData.xls
It will be great if you could help us in filling out this table using HL7/RIM/CDA constructs.

Thanks!

---Vipul

From: Samson Tu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:57 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Kashyap, Vipul; public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Subject: Re: [COI] Clinical Observations Interoperability Telcon January 15 2008

Tom Marley and Alan Rector, under a consultancy contract with NHS CfH, have successfully encoded a significant subset of HL7 RIM and NHS messages and message fragments in OWL. According to [1], Tom Marley is preparing an OWL ITS of the HL7 RIM and data types based on this work. A conference paper describing this work generically is available at [2].

[1] http://detailedclinicalmodels.org/wiki/index.php?title=Model_Formalism#OWL
[2]
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Erector/papers/krmed2006-rector-binding-ontologies-to-ehrs.pdf

Samson

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Vipul and all

Sorry I will not be able to dial in today due to a time conflict.

I started to put up a wiki to examine some previous effort on converting RIM/CDA to RDF/OWL for semantic web reasoning. The page is here

http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/ClinicalObservationsInteroperability/HL7CDA2OWL.html?action=show

I will add more content later this afternoon. Please feel free to add links if you know a good ontology version of RIM/CDA.

Regards.

Helen

--
Samson Tu                                   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Research Scientist web: www.stanford.edu/ ~swt/