On Feb 13, 2008, at 2:14 PM, M. Scott Marshall wrote:

Dear Matt,

I see 'trust' as a 'view' that can be produced by running a filter over
the data (provenance). The filter would implement my trust policy, or
one of them. In other words, my trust in a given 'agent' can be due to
the fact that it produces data using a certain algorithm. I also place a
certain level of trust in the instrumentation that produced the data,
the p-values of an analysis in the processing pipeline, human operators
involved, etc. So, the weights or confidence measures that you are
describing and that Alan is qualifying would be the *output* of such a
trust policy or filter. I would not besmirch the data with my own
personal trust models nor easily trust those of others. ;) I guess that what I'm trying to say is equivalent to Alan's point: I would prefer to keep facts and their evidence disclosed symbolically in the data so that
different 'views' can take them into account.

But, before I go to build such 'views' or filters, I will wait for that
sort of information to become machine-readable as data provenance. :)

However, I *can* try to make that sort of information available for data
that I am helping to manage or produce. It seems that having a triple
store (such as Virtuoso) with named graph support would make it possible
to produce several types of potentially useful data provenence.

The problem with NGs (and especially with existing RDF support) is the close coupling between provenance and the URI from which the triples were obtained.

If I wish to make available a collection of triples t1...tn where each triple has its own provenance information tp1...tpn then I have to have n URIs. If I serve up those triples through a SPARQL endpoint then the act of creating a new graph will lose all the original NG information.

NGs are not directly supported in the RDF model and it's not clear how NGs would be accessed from an OWL-level API such as the OWLAPI.

There are proposed extensions such as Trix/Trig - and there may be some relation between NGs and quoting in N3. However, AFAIK the meaning of these extensions in the OWL-DL formalism is not clear.

I don't think NGs are so useful beyond SPARQL. I think the only option here is to embrace rdf-reification (and to push for better syntax, query and tool support). After all, this is how provenance at the OWL level will work in OWL1.1 (i.e. annotating axioms)

-scott

--
M. Scott Marshall
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~marshall

Matt Williams wrote:

Dear Alan,

Thank you for making my point much more clearly than I managed. I'm a
little wary of probabilities in situations like the one you describe, as
it always seems a little hard to pin down what is meant by them. At
least with the symbolic approach, you can give a short paragraph saying
what you mean.

I'll try and find a paper on the "p-modals" (possible, probable, etc.)
and ways of combining them tomorrow and put a paragraph on the wiki.

Matt

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
I'm personally fond of the symbolic approach - I think it is more
direct and easier to explain what is meant. It's harder to align
people to a numerical system, I would think, and also provides a false sense of precision. Explanations are easier to understand as well: "2
sources thought this probable, and 1 thought is doubtful" can be
grokked more easily than score: 70%

-Alan